Tuesday, February 1, 2011

reviewing meditation practices.

After reviewing the meditation practices (Loving-kindness, subtle mind, visualization) the two practices i found most beneficial to me were the subtle mind and the visualization. The reason i liked these two the most was you only had to focus on 1 thing at a time and most often you just had a single point of focus. Exercises where you focus on different things are very distracting to me and often my mind wanders  and just plain hard to stay focused. So these two exercises were most beneficial because i was actually able to meditate and relax instead of being distracted when it was time to switch to a different focal point. I can implement these practices in my life to reduce stress in my life when i am feeling overwhelmed by school, relationship, and bills.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jonathan,

    These are the two practices that I like the best also. I am also finding it easier to focus on one thing. Until I am a faithful in my exercises and learn to develop my mind more, I tend to stay with these two exercises to help me get to that next level of awareness. My head is always filled with everyday things, aging relatives and just life in general so I need to master how to calm my thoughts and get a clear vision of what I am doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan,

    I have to totally agree with you in regards to exercises where you have to focus on one too many things can make an individual start to wonder off and lose focus. Your two choices of practices may not be one I would choose but I know where you are coming from. I am glad to hear that you found the subtle mind practice very beneficial for you since I had a difficult time following it. I guess it was due to my frustration of trying to avoid the woman's voice. But like the lesson says this practice is meant to work the mind and not meant for relaxation. However the visualization exercise is a a very emotional exercise, something I would recommend to others who really want to seek their innerselves. I truly loved this exercise. Having said that, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions as to which two exercises and practices you found beneficial to you. Great blog for this week and best of health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up a good point that the rest of the exercises do end up bringing up more then one focus. I tend to be a multitasker so it doesn't tend to be the same for me but everyone is different. I know these practices help even if just done once a week. It is good to do more but even then it helps us to live that little bit longer. Stress is no good and we need to battle it out and these practices will do so if we let them. Great post!

    cristina holcomb

    ReplyDelete